UPDATE: I’ve added #6 because why not?
I don’t know if the producers of Asia’s Next Top Model even realize this but I think it is high time that the show steps up and produce a real winner. One who is a total package —beauty, skill, and good character.
Now on it’s final week, only three contestants are left competing in the show. Shikin Gomez from Malaysia, Minh Tu Nguyen from Vietnam and Maureen Wroblewitz from the Philippines. All three are strong contenders, thus the top three. However of the three contestants, only Maureen Wroblewitz has what it takes to bring home the crown.
1. Maureen’s height is her asset, not something she should be ashamed of. I don’t understand why the host of the show, Cindy Bishop keeps on reiterating every elimination week that “Maureen is the shortest girl in the competition” when the whole fandom can already see it. When you keep on repeating that someone’s the shortest or whatnot, you make it seem like it is a major disadvantage. Yes, being tall is a common asset in most modeling agencies but it is not everything. Asia’s Next Top Model as the name of the show implies, is looking for a true Asian model and majority of Asians are known to be short anyway. Being one of my favorite Asian models, I know Cindy’s intention is nothing but good but that comment is completely unnecessary. She could have said something like, “despite being the less experienced model,” then that’s acceptable. Besides, Maureen would not be on the show if her height was a problem to begin with. Whether the minimum height requirement was 5’6 and she is 5’6, she qualified. She nailed it. She deserves to be there. Stop saying things like “despite being the shortest girl on the show.” Just stop!
2. Maureen has the perfect attitude. In modeling, attitude is everything. The rest of the AsNTM Cycle 5 contestants, with the exceptions of Cindy Chen from Taiwan, Angelica Santillan from Philippines, Alicia Amin from Malaysia and Layla Ong from Singapore, all exhibited gross attitude when it comes to working with their peers. What I hated most about watching the show is when these mean girls start putting one another down just so they could steal the spot light. That’s so uncalled for. That doesn’t make you a winner. They are so full of themselves and it came to a point that it disgusted me to watch them onscreen. Jenica Sanchez, for instance has repeatedly bashed and picked on her fellow “kababayan” Maureen instead of proving herself worthy of staying in the competition. Did it get her anywhere? No. Models with that kind of attitude are a disgrace to the modeling world. Some may argue that it is a competition so you should be confident and tough. However, there is a big difference between being confident and being arrogant. There is a difference between being tough and being boastful and selfish and bitchy. If I were one of the designer brands, I would never hire any of these girls. And I think many fans of the show already know that.
3. Maureen has a very beautiful face. Since Day One, it was evident that most of the girls especially Clara from Indonesia, Minh Tu, and Shikin Gomez already despise Maureen. Why? Because they see her as the biggest threat in the competition. When they say that Maureen did not deserve to be on the show, they were threatened by her beautiful face and what it can do. They even bluntly called her out and said that she’s just “beauty and no skills” and that she did not deserve to be on top six. In modeling, a beautiful face is your second best asset —next to attitude and good work ethics.
Top 5 ✨This week was certainly a really tough one for me but another week proven that I'm not just a 'pretty face'. Even if I won my second Best Performance this week, I still can't be fully happy. I feel like Tu when she was FCO and Layla had to leave the competition. First Valerie, now my other twin Veronika. Who will I now be telling my stories to? 😔We used to be 3 girls sharing one bed and now I'm left alone. I'm missing the times we would watch movies together or the times we would cook for each other. At least you both are back together again @valerie.twns @veronika.twns ❤ I'll keep aiming for the top and I'll also be doing it for you two. I'm so lucky to have met both of you, my twinsies! Love and miss you both too much ❤ #AsNTM #AsNTM5 #ExpectTheUnexpected #TeamMaureen #TeamPhilippines #PhilippinesOnTop
4. Maureen would make a flexible model. Since she’s already beautiful and charming, Maureen has the power to instantly win people’s heart. That gives her the power to successfully model almost anything and people will still believe whatever she’s selling no matter what. In fact, she can use any part of her body to model something and it would turn out just fine. Yes, her catwalk may not be that perfect but it is not that bad. And she can still make it perfect with time. It’s no big deal.
5. Maureen is confident. She is not insecure. She knows her place and she knows how to respect her superiors and the people who put her where she is. She can be confident without being cocky. A lot of the girls in the competition have shown disgusting attitude all through out the season but Maureen never did. She never backfighted or badmouthed anyone. She never put anyone down. She just compete fair and square. In the modeling industry, insecurity will kill your career if you don’t know how to control it. I will be goddamned if the judges of the show didn’t see that Maureen is a legend when it comes to taking control of her attitude in the competition.
6. Maureen is a fighter. When the other girls blatantly disrespected her and called her out, she did not fight back with the same hurtful words. Instead, she proved them wrong by topping the next photoshoot. In fact, she topped two other photoshoots that made her ahead of the competition since both Tu and Shikin topped only two photoshoots. Maureen had three pictures on the model house’s wall. Not bad for someone who is relatively new to modeling. When Yu Tsai was having difficulty with her, she proved him that she is determined to stay in the competition by improving her craft. And she has indeed improved a lot. Progress is very imporant because it means someone is listening. Someone is doing their home work. For someone who never had any professional modeling experience, Maureen is killing it. She’s got the numbers to prove it. She can compete. She can beat the two other contestants regardless if they are more experienced than her. And people admire someone who is not backing down. It is not easy to stay your ground when three other girls are bullying you but she did not give up. She even kept calm, and told the girls in a good manner that the judges thought she deserves to be on top six. Maureen showed a very strong character and it is a good thing because people is finally making sense of the show because of someone who is already a winner in her own right. And Maureen has a lot of supporters because people can see through her heart —she is genuine. She is the real deal.
Who would've thought a 'pretty face with no skills' would fight her way to Top 3?! Tu and Shikin have been my biggest competitors from the start and it's crazy that I get to be in the top with them. We couldn't be any more diverse from looks to personality. The only thing we've got in common now, is the determination to win! Never have I expected to come this far! This makes me even more proud of all the things I've achieved during the competition. There are so many things I've learned and experienced, and now it's the last time I get to show it all. This week was very overwhelming for me. First, the really tough challenge, where I had to face my fear of heights in the most insane way and then the photoshoot where we had to create our own story. This is also where I decided to talk about my personal story, which wasn't an easy thing for me to do. After everything this week, I didn't expect to be part of the Finale. But I'm glad I am. I'm not done yet showing all I've got 💓💓💓 #AsNTM #AsNTM5 #ExpectTheUnexpected #TeamMaureen #TeamPhilippines #PhilippinesOnTop
Shikin Gomez is a great model and contender. She can ace a photoshoot perfectly and comes out of the run way like a boss. But she possesses cockiness and superiority. And if didn’t sit well with many viewers as the comments on social media prove so, then it may not sit well with people in the industry she had chosen. She appears to be kind at times but she has the tendency to talk behind her peer’s back. She has great skills but all of it will turn to nothing if she didn’t stop attacking others for their weakness.
Minh Tu is very competitive —beautiful, tall, and determined. She knows what she’s getting herself into. However, just like Shikin, Clara, and the twins (Veronika and Valerie), Minh Tu also has a gross attitude of picking on others when she sees them as a threat. That’s not the proper way to deal with a competitor. That’s actually the most stupid way to deal with your rival. Prove them you can beat them with performance but not with unnecessary feedback.
Let me tell those who agree that Maureen is just “beautiful face and no skills,” you are entitled to your opinion but that doesn’t define someone like Maureen. She is clearly more than her beautiful face. She has improved a lot since day one. She has proven to all that she is a tough nut to crack. She just used all the bashing and all the negative feedback to reinvent herself and metamorphose into a real model, someone who deserves recognition for the most amount of courage, determination, patience, hard work and diligent effort. She did everything she could and she made it. She put her heart into her craft and she earned the respect of many.
If I were a top designer brand, I’d go for someone who is both beautiful and has great character and work ethics than someone who clearly has the skills but is disrespectful and downright arrogant. If I were a product brand, I’d go for someone who has the power to influence people in a good way, someone who has no record of disrespecting her co-workers, someone who can actually sell my brand not because she has the perfect modeling skills but because of being herself and her good character, someone whom I won’t have a problem working with. If I were one of the judges of the show, I’d pick Maureen because she has made the greatest impact to most viewers. Her attitude has become a role model to young aspiring girls of her generation. She just inspired many people to keep pursuing their dreams despite the people who will stop them from achieving it. Her character has become a household name because she has proven that it is okay to not have all the skills, that it is okay to just try and be yourself, that everything is possible even with less experience. She has inspired the whole world.
3rd Best Performance and Top 4?! 😍 I'm so close to the finale, just one more step! • I've learned a lot about myself throughout this competition. But the most important thing I've learned, is that I never give up. I'll keep fighting no matter what and I'll be doing this for all of you ❤ I also wanted to thank you all for the amazing support! You all mean the world to me! So many people have been telling me how proud they are of me and you have no idea how much those words mean to me. I hope I inspire every single one of you to go out there and do what you want to do. Don't ever give up on your dreams because other people make it seem impossible! Anything is possible! You just gotta work hard always and never doubt yourself ❤❤❤ #AsNTM #AsNTM5 #TeamPhilippines #TeamMaureen #PhilippinesOnTop
If I had a say on who wins this season of Asia’s Next Top Model, I’d go for Maureen because she is a total package. I’d choose her because she is the epitome of the perfect model trained and honed from scratch and coming out as a professional marketable model by a brilliant show such as Asia’s Next Top Model. But I don’t have the say so I guess I’ll just hope that the judges will be wise and fair to actually give it to someone who deserves it, not because she’s the shortest or the tallest girl in the competition but rather because the show has a responsibility to produce a fashion model who is not only going to rock the brands but most importantly, the hearts of the young girls of her generation.
UPDATE: On the AsNTM’s finale held at the National Gallery Singapore in June 28, 2017, Maureen Wroblewitz won as this seasons Asia’s Next Top Model besting the two other contestants, Shikin Gomez from Malaysia and Vietnam’s Minh Tu Nguyen. Maureen is the first ever Filipina to have won the prize. She took home the coveted contract with London-based Storm Model Management and a brand-new Subaru Impreza car. She will also grace the cover of Nylon Singapore’s online edition and will be featured in major fashion campaigns.
In the end, I’d like to thank the judges of the show because they really worked hard to come up with the best and fair decision. I know it was hard because all of the three girls were extremely deserving. I acknowledge how all the girls reconciled in the end and put aside their grudges just like what Shikin said. I’m so proud of the three and all the other contestants who showed up in the finale.